Friday, December 28, 2012

And it all began with YOGA...

It was January 2001 when I stepped into my first yoga class at our local YMCA. I had given birth to my son, Matthew, just 8 months earlier and I thought yoga would be the perfect form of exercise to help me return to my pre-baby body.

I remember my first teacher, also named Jennifer, being warm and welcoming. She guided us through our practice that day and from then on I was hooked. I attended as many classes as I possibly could. I would even leave work mid-morning for an early lunch hour just so I could go.

I slowly saw things begin to to change. I felt the pregnancy/baby fog that was lingering in my brain start to lift. I felt happier. I noticed that my mind and body felt calmer after Shavasana (the final resting pose in a yoga class), and I began to react to stress in my life in a different way. I noticed an increase in my desire to take better care of myself, to get more rest when possible, and the desire to move my body that had been still for way too long. (I was on bedrest during my pregnancy so it had been awhile since I was active.) My body almost begged for movement on the days where there were no classes at the Y.

On those days, I began to use our 30 minute exercise break at work to walk. After a few weeks of walking, walking turned into walk/running. A few weeks later, walk/running turned into slow running. Plus, I was still practicing yoga. I was starting to experience a whole new side to life that I had not experienced before. I felt alive!

After about 6 months, I decided I was going to do a triathlon. Triathlons are composed of three events... swimming, biking, and running of various distances depending on the length of the race. The only problem was that I was terrified of water as a child and it still wasn't a favorite of mine as an adult. On my first morning in the pool, I can remember putting my goggles on and thinking, "WHAT AM I DOING?" I ended up taking swimming lessons again at the age of 30 so I could refresh some of the fundamentals I had fought so hard against as a child. I logged many miles during bike rides and runs in order to prepare for my first race. My first sprint triathlon (500m swim, 13 mile bike, and 5K run) was at Paris Island near Beaufort, SC. I finished my race strong... I even survived the swim... and I was so proud!


I firmly believe that none of what you just read would have happened without Yoga. I went to the class hoping to slim down my post-baby body but I found so much more. I found brand new self-esteem, the self-confidence to run in front of people, and even found the courage to face my fear of swimming. It was that "alive" feeling that kept me coming back.

And it all began with a Yoga class....



Please keep in mind this is just my personal story. Not everyone who begins a yoga practice decides to participate in a triathlon. However, you never know what changes you may notice in yourself and in your life if you begin a consistent practice. Emerald City Yoga is offering a "Introduction to Yoga" series. We will meet January 5, 12, 19, and 26 from 10:30-11:30. Cost is $35 for all four weeks. Look under my "events" section on Facebook for more info or feel free to contact me here. Please join me! 



No comments:

Post a Comment